Sat, Oct 14|
Wordless soundscapes and meditations on brief phrases, alongside evocative poems meticulously set will guide you through this contemplative evening.
Time & Location
Oct 14, 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Vancouver, 5445 Fraser St, Vancouver, BC V5W 2Z3, Canada
About the event
“But because being here means so much, and because
all of the transient things that are here
seem to need us…
They need us—us, the most transient.
Once for each thing, just once. Once and no more.
Just once for us too... But having been
Earthly just this once, even though
It was only once, seems irrevocable.”
–Rainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926), translated by Graham Good
Who is this concert for?
- those seeking peace at the end of a long day
- Transient, earthly beings
What will I know, and what will be new to me?
- You might be familiar with the extended vocal techniques and surprising twist ending of Maja Ratke’s An Dismantled Ode to the Moral Value of Art from our 2021 video recording, or may have heard Sweet Honey in the Rock’s classic Wanting Memories.
- You’ll be the first to hear the world premiere of a new commission from Leslie Uyeda on a haunting text by Patrick Lane, as well as two Canadian premieres: the simultaneously bold and soothing close[r] now, by Ayanna Woods, Chanticleer’s 2023 Composer-in-Residence, and Orphic Hymn, by the late Icelandic film composer Johann Johannson; the lulling harmonies of which will resonate deep in your soul.
- While we’ve shared music of Meredith Monk and Shireen Abu-Khader in the past, you’ll hear new pieces, and we’ll introduce you to less familiar music by Edie Hill, Beverly McKiver, and Elizabeth Knudson.
Why shouldn’t I miss this?
- You’ll be surrounded, comforted, and held by the voices of musica intima in the beautiful and acoustically warm space of the Celebration Hall at Mountain View Cemetery. The intimacy of singing meets the ambiance of the ubiquitous Candlelight Concert.
- Wordless soundscapes and meditations on brief phrases, alongside evocative poems meticulously set will guide you through this contemplative evening.
- The performance will be approximately one hour with no intermission, and we invite you to join us for a glass of wine before or after the show.
From $10.00 to $40.00
From $10.00 to $40.00Price optionPriceQuantityTotal